Click on image to view full painting
24” x 12″
Known today as the downtown post office, the King Kalakaua Building, located at 335 Merchant Street, opened in 1922 as Honolulu’s post office, customhouse, and courthouse. It was named after King Kalakaua because David Kalakaua was Honolulu’s postmaster before he reigned as Hawaii’s King.
It was designed by architects York & Sawyer in the Mission/Spanish Revival style. Honolulu Hale is another building in the Mission/Spanish Revival style.
The King Kalakaua Building was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.