Click on image to view entire painting
18″ x 14″
This painting depicts Kawaiahao Church in the late 1800s, when most of Honolulu was still undeveloped. No Waikiki yet, the Ala Wai Canal had not been dredged. What we know now as Ward Avenue was a swamp used mostly by duck hunters. Honolulu had no basic sanitation system (see Kakaako Pumping Station, next painting). Honolulu was poised for development.
Previous temporary church structures succumbed to fire and other calamities. The stone church we see today held its first service on July 12, 1842, with the Hawaiian royal family in attendance.
Kawaiahao church is built with coral blocks chiseled from local reefs, each weighing more than 1,000 pounds, that had to be carried to the construction site for assembly.
On March 13, 2020 Kawaiahao Church suspended services in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus.