Click on image to view full painting
24″ x 12″
The Kakaako Pumping Station was built in 1900 out of local lava blocks to serve as the power source for Honolulu‘s first modern sewage system. This building was essential to the development of Honolulu as a modern city.
The building was designed by Oliver Traphagen who also designed the Moana Hotel, the Palama Fire Station, and many other buildings worldwide.
In 1955 the original steam powered system was replaced by diesel power, and pumping operations were moved to a larger nearby building. This building remained empty for decades until it was converted to a “Senior Community Resource Center” in 2014.
The Kakaako Pumping Station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.