Click on image to view full painting
18″ x 14″
This 2012 painting shows the Falls of Clyde in it’s current deteriorated condition.
The Falls of Clyde has been docked at Honolulu Harbor since 1968. It is the last surving iron-hulled, four-masted sailing ship in existence.
It was built in Port Glasgow, Scotland in 1878, and it is named for a group of waterfalls on the River Clyde.
The Falls of Clyde served as a cargo ship and oil tanker all over the world for 85 years until it was decommissioned in 1963. In 1968 it was given to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu for restoration, but that restoration was never completed. In 2008 ownership was transferred to a “non-profit” group that was going to restore it, but that restoration never ocurred either.